Mornings are always busy, and it can be difficult to get a good, healthy breakfast on the table when it’s cold and dark outside. Preparing breakfast the night before is key, according to Lily Higgins’ latest recipe. Baked blueberry porridge is the perfect breakfast to banish the January blues, and tastes just like a blueberry muffin with a delicious oat crumble topping.
This breakfast recipe can be prepared the night before and left in the fridge, saving some precious time in the morning. All you have to do is preheat your oven and pop your dish of oats in. It smells beautiful and makes a great start to a busy day at work. Guided by Orla Walsh to prepare this recipe, Lily has ensured that this baked porridge is well-balanced nutritionally, supplying the right vitamins, protein and calcium to help you tackle your day.
1 teaspoon butter
40g porridge oats
1 tbsp honey
2 tablespoons oats
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Spread the butter around the sides of a small ovenproof dish. Scatter half of the blueberries into the dish.
- Mix the oats with the cinnamon and set aside.
- Whisk the egg with the milk and honey.
- Pour the milk mix into the porridge and stir to combine. Pour this over the blueberries and tap the dish to spread the mix. Top with remaining blueberries.
- In a small bowl rub the crumble ingredients together. Scatter this on top of the porridge and place in the fridge until ready to bake.
- The following morning, preheat the oven to 180°C. Bake the porridge for 15 minutes until the blueberries are bubbling and bursting. Serve with a dollop of thick creamy yoghurt.