The role of Dairy
Meat and dairy products are scientifically proven to play a crucial role in maintaining a healthy diet.
- Meat and dairy products contain essential vitamins and minerals that contribute to good health and wellbeing.
- Meat and dairy products are naturally rich in protein, which contributes to the maintenance and repair of muscle mass, while also helping to maintain strong bones.
- Meat and dairy are natural sources of vitamin B12 which assists the nervous system to function correctly. It is especially important during pregnancy.
While supplements can help to compensate for nutrient deficiencies, they are not intended to replace the unique package of nutrients provided by meat and dairy as part of a healthy balanced diet.
Dairy contains essential vitamins and minerals that are crucial for a balanced diet. Health authorities around the world recommend that people consume three portions a day from this food group.
Milk, yogurt and cheese provide essential minerals and vitamins like calcium, phosphorus and vitamins B2, B5 and B12.
While supplements can help to compensate for nutrient deficiencies, they are not intended to replace the unique package or nutrients provided by meat and dairy as part of a healthy balanced diet.
- In Ireland, people with higher dairy intakes have lower BMI and lower levels of body fat.
- Dairy products play an important role in bone health, a fact acknowledged by Irish and global health organisations that are working to combat osteoporosis.
- Dairy is associated with lower blood pressure and a reduced risk of type 2 diabetes, while a cardio-protective effect of dairy products has been observed in some studies.
- Irish adults consume just over two portions of dairy per day, compared to the recommended three servings.
Irish people get 39% of their calcium, 44% of their iodine, 37% of their vitamin A and 35% of their vitamin B12 from dairy.
Red meats such as beef, lamb and pork play a central role in a balanced, healthy diet and help you get the vitamins and minerals you need.
- Beef, lamb and pork are rich in Vitamin B6 which helps to boost energy, reduce tiredness and helps the immune system function.
- Vitamin B12 – which beef, lamb and pork are all rich in – helps psychological function, assists in the maintenance of the nervous system, while also helping in red blood cell formation.
- Beef, lamb and pork are rich sources of niacin, which helps sustain energy production, assists the nervous system to work normally, while also helping to reduce tiredness and fatigue.
- Beef and lamb are rich sources of zinc, which helps with fertility, supports bone health and normal eyesight.